ADO Content, March 2016 | Kolkata
This is a helpful and easy guide to assist you in taking good care of your apartment. Improper cleaning and maintenance can lead to damage of your apartment. This guide is only to assist you with general guidelines towards proper care of your apartment so that you can keep your home safe, clean and avoid future inconveniences.
- Walls and Ceilings
Water spots and large cracks are indications of underlying problems, do pay timely attention. Consult with professional experts for repair. Soiled walls and ceilings can be repaired with the right selection of construction chemicals and trained applicators.
Flooring should be cleaned with damp sponge mop / cloth / suitable material in order to prevent dust, excess water spills, etc. Please note that abrasive cleaners can damage vinyl tiles, wood flooring and sheet materials. A soft scrub or nonabrasive cleaner is recommended to remove stubborn stains.
- Avoid pouring water directly onto the floor as there can be water ingress through tile joints.
- Tile and ceramic floors need to be first swept and then cleaned with a damp sponge mop / cloth.
- Soiled mop water needs to be replaced with clean water and fresh cleaner as dirty water can leave behind stains.
- Wooden floors should be dust-mopped first and then cleaned with a cleaner.
Moisture on windows can damage the frames and also adjoining walls. This usually occurs during extreme hot or cold temperatures. Promoting air circulation over windows by opening drapes or blinds will prevent moisture.
- Keep the insects out by use of proper window screens / nets.
- Blinds can be dusted with a towel or feather duster. Soiled blinds may be washed in warm water and mild detergent.
- Clean window tracks / channels will ensure easy opening of windows.
Sharp objects and abrasive cleaners can damage refrigerator, stove and kitchen counter top surfaces. Mild detergents and soft scrubs are always recommended to prevent premature wear of these areas. It is also important to store unused foods in closed containers and clean the cooking area after meals have been prepared. These practices will assist in the prevention of pests in your apartment.
- Cabinets, countertops, refrigerators and the stove should be cleaned regularly using a mild detergent.
- Cabinet gaps should be properly sealed with the right material to prevent insects / dust.
- To prevent the attraction of pests, it is recommended to immediately cleanup spillages and food. Garbage also needs to be taken out on a regular basis and not allowed to accumulate.
- Excess bags, boxes and containers provide areas for pests to live. It is important to limit unused bags and boxes in Kitchen.
- Avoid using counter tops as chopping boards.
- Stove burners, plates and ovens should be cleaned at least once a week to reduce the possibility of fire.
- Refrigerators need to be cleaned every month.
Moisture from the shower and bath can cause damage to walls, ceiling, floors and tiles. Moisture will also promote the growth of mold. It is important to keep the ventilation fan on or the window open for at least fifteen minutes after a shower. This will ensure that the moisture has been vented from the room. Water can enter behind tiles and damage walls if the grout or sealer between tiles is missing or damaged. Mold further deteriorates the grout. Therefore, it is important to clean the tiles regularly.
- The exhaust fan must be turned on or the window opened during bathroom usage in order to remove excess moisture.
- A bath mat should be used when stepping out of the shower to prevent water damage the floor.
- Mold can be removed from tile and grout by the use of specialty chemicals.
- The bathroom should be thoroughly cleaned at least once a week using a soft scrub cleaner.
Clogged pipes, leaks and drips need to be taken care immediately to prevent additional damage to the system and surrounding structure.
- Never pour cooking oil down the drain. Cooking oil should be poured into a container, covered and placed in the trash.
- Pipelines should be adequately flushed with water.
- Consult plumber before using any type of drain cleaner. Improper use of cleaners can damage fixtures and pipes.
- General Cleaning Recommendations
Using improper cleaning materials can make tasks more difficult and cause damage to surfaces. The following should be kept in mind before beginning any cleaning task:
- Products recommended for specific tasks should be used for those types of tasks only.
- Read instructions on cleaning products before usage.
- Most cleaners are designed to be used on specific surfaces and may cause damage if used on unapproved surfaces.
- Never mix solutions together. A chemical reaction may occur and lead to permanent damage of the surface.
- Most spills and stains can be removed easier if cleaned promptly and regularly.
- Do not attempt to make repairs on your own, seek expert advice.